OutWiker is designed to store notes in a tree. Such programs are called "outliner", personal wiki, or tree-like editors. OutWiker's main difference from the other similar programs is keeping the tree of notes in the form of directories on disk, and encouraging changing the base by external sources and programs.
Also any number of files can be attached to the page. OutWiker can contain pages of different types, currently supports three types of pages: plain text, HTML pages and wiki pages, but the number of types of pages will increase in future.
OutWiker distributed with source code under the GPL 3.
Current version - 1.9
For Linux users created PPA-repository. To install OutWiker from the repository, perform the following commands:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install outwiker
Binary Linux build (x64): outwiker_1.9_linux_x64.7z (архив 7z, 17 МБ).
For others Linux distributions see Sources
- The base is stored as a directory tree on disk.
- Plugins supporting.
- Any number of files can be attached to each note.
- Pages can be of different types.
- Attached images can be inserted into the HTML-page.
- HTML syntax highlighting.
- Tags support.
- Support for bookmarks.
- Each tree branch can be opened as a separate wiki.
- Icons for notes.
- Cross-platform (Windows and Linux).
- Portability. Program all the settings can be stored in its directory.
- Open-source program.
- The ability to create links between pages.
- Global search on your notes and search by tags.
- Batch job with the tags.
May it be better to make the program keep notes in one file?
Keeping notes in a tree - the main feature, for which the program was developed. This does not mean that someday I will not add the option for choosing ways of storing your notes, but this will not happen in the near future.
Will there be a visual editor for the pages?
There are some thoughts to make a separate page type format RichTextFormat with the visual editor. Please do not exclude the possibility that there will be a visual editor for HTML-pages. But still I can't talk about dates.
How to install plugins
If you use OutWiker in the portable mode then to install the plug-ins need to unzip the downloaded archive to plugins folder close to the executable.
If you use OutWiker in the usual mode then select "Help - Open Plugins Folder" menu item. After that will be open folder for plugins.
Under Windows 7 / 8.x / 10 it would be:
Under Ubuntu Linux:
Take note what each plugin is a folder with the files. This plugin folder need to copy in the folder with plugins. In the preferences dialog (Edit - Preferences - Plugins) can disable plugins without remove their files from plugins folder.
Run from source code
Source code of OutWiker is free.
To get a stable version of the source code, run:
git clone https://github.com/Jenyay/outwiker.git
To get the source code version of the program, which is in development, run:
git clone https://github.com/Jenyay/outwiker.git
git checkout stable
To run the command (in the directory src):
Depending on Linux
- python (version 2.7)
- libgnomeprint2.2-0, libgnomeprintui2.2-0
220.127.116.110 (April 09, 2016)
- Added spell checker.
- Created the groups for the icons.
- Now users can add custom icons.
- The choice of colors for the tag cloud.
- The choise the action when you make left or middle mouse click on the tag.
- The choise the action when you make double mouse click on the attached file.
- Added the new wiki commands for the table creation: (:table:), (:row:), (:cell:), (:hcell:).
- Improved search het keys for the actions.
- Added new icons.
- Added new page styles.
- Now in the link inserting dialog you can select an attached file to create link to it.
- Added help.
18.104.22.1682 (October 20, 2014)
- Bug fixes
22.214.171.1240 (October 11, 2014)
- Added the ability to customize keyboard shortcuts.
- Added the ability to refer to a page using unique identifiers.
- Added the ability to navigate through the links to pages with the anchors ().
- Added the ability to use relative paths in the links on the pages ().
- Added the ability to change the page style for branch of the pages at the same time.
- Added the ability of search and replace on the page.
- Added the buttons "Forward" and "Back" for the return to the previous pages.
- Added the ability to change the editor colors.
- Added the ability to change the behaviour of the Home / End keys id the editor (go to begin / end of the string or the paragraph).
- Added a new tag of the wiki syntax for quoting: [>...<].
- Added the button and menu item insertion the current date and time
- Added the commands (:crdate:) and (:eddate:) for insertion the creation and edition dates of the page respectively.
- Added the dialogs for the comands (:attachlist:), (:childlist:) and (:include:).
- Added the ability to sort child pages for the creation and edition date in the command (:childlist:).
- On the global search page added the ability to sort child pages for the creation date.
- Added new command line parameter "-r" or "--readonly" for the opening the notes tree readonly.
- Added the popup tooltips for icons in the property dialog for page.
- Added a new styles for page design.
- Added the button and menu item for opening a folder with a attached files in a system file manager.
- Added the saving recent used page style.
- Added the saving cursor position for page before closing.
- Added the Italian localization.
- Now in the attachments panel showed the files icons.
- Changed the hyphenation algorithm (br tags instead of p).
- Now opening the notes tree and global search cunduct in a separate thread.
- Now for every page saved the creation date.
- Now all HTML tags, which the wiki parser create, in a lowercase.
- Now help will be open in a separate window.
- Settings moved from ~/.outwiker more ideologically correct place (depending on the operating system).
- Added new icons for pages.
- Many accelerations.
- Bug fixes and improvments.